SOCIAL MEDIA

Living The Island Life | Monthly Moments September

Monday 14 October 2019


I've now been working up on Thursday Island for over 3 months- and what a few months I've had!
I'm struggling to find the words to describe how life has been in recent weeks, as it's been wonderful but also a lot harder than expected in many aspects.

As I had been on placement here previously and felt like I knew the island and hospital pretty well, I felt like I knew what I was signing up for and was so sure of the incredible experience I was going to have. It's taken a few weeks to actually admit to myself that although many aspects are just as great as I had expected, there's also quite a few that have been a bit tough to work through.

I might go into the up and downs in a future post, but for now, hard moments included, I still have so much love for this little island and my desire to come back as a doctor remains strong. So here's a glimpse of what I've been up to in my little slice of paradise!


We have quite a busy placement roster without a huge amount of time for exploring during the week, but when I'm lucky enough to get two days off in a row I definitely take advantage of it! We've taken boat trips to pearl farms, white beaches and even all the way to the mainland to explore some beautiful waterfalls.

Last weekend I caught my first fish! My housemate also caught one and we had a very tasty fish cook-up for dinner. 


During my time on the island I've been lucky enough to go out with the visiting doctor to the island where my parents live- not once but twice! Getting a free helicopter ride over the beautiful Torres Strait and being able to see my parents while I'm at it has definitely been the peak of my Thursday Island experience!


There's been countless other exciting moments over the last few months which I will of course update you on soon. For now, I just wanted to pop in and say hi after such a hectic few months that have whizzed past quicker than I can blink!
What have you been up to lately? 
Kate x

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete