SOCIAL MEDIA

A Thrifted Book Haul

Sunday 14 April 2019

Hi guys!
I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted a thrift haul! I actually haven't been having the best luck at the thrift stores recently when it comes to clothing, but I've unexpectedly been having a whole heap of luck in the book sections.

Over recent months I've been getting a bit sick of reading not-so-great books that I got for free on my kindle, and I was considering caving in and spending some decent money on a big book order online. However, before I had a chance to do it I've ended up with a big pile of books all found in my local thrift stores!

I'm particularly excited about this because half of these books were the exact ones that I've wanted to read for ages and was going to order online, and I've now got them for less than quarter of the price!
Here's a little look at what I found:

The Midnight Watch- David Dyer ($3)
This one has been on my list for over a year now after the attendant at a book shop recommended it to me. It involves the story of the Titanic and a fictionalised version of the role the of the ship SS Californian that was nearby on the night it sunk. I've always been struck and completely fascinated by the story of Titanic, so I'm really looking forward to getting into this one!

Circe- Madeline Miller ($6)
I can't lie, I was definitely drawn to this one initially just because of the stunning shiny copper cover! However, after a peek at the multitude of raving reviews it has on Goodreads, I knew it had to come home with me.

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest- Ken Kesey ($5)
This one is a classic that has been on my to-read list for quite a while. I don't know a huge amount about the book and have never seen the movie, but I do know that it involves the patients in an Oregon mental hospital. Being so interested in the field of psychiatry, I think that fact alone means it's a book I should be reading!

The Clockmaker's Daughter- Kate Morton ($5)
This beautiful cover has been catching my eye every time I pass a book store, and I've been on the verge of buying it so many times...needless to say I was pretty excited to find a copy in perfect condition sitting on the shelf at my local Lifeline store! The blurb of the book makes it sound like a historical mystery of sorts, and that is something I am definitely here for.


Body Positive Power- Megan Jayne Crabbe ($5)
I've followed Megan on instagram for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally read her book! I've heard many people talking about how this book has revolutionised their outlook on body image and the definition of health, which I think is quite important on both a personal and professional level.

The Smell Of Other People's Houses- Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock ($3)
This was another gorgeous cover that drew me in, with an excellent Goodreads rating to go along with it. The title and setting of this book (Alaska) both intrigued me, and I can't wait to see what the story is like.

The Little Breton Bistro- Nina George ($4)
I initially picked this book up with my sister in mind, as she did a six-month exchange in Brittany and I thought this might be one she would appreciate! I'm just reading it in the meantime until I have a chance to give it to her, haha. I'm about halfway through this one and enjoying it so far.

Have you read any of these? What's the best book you've read recently? I'd love some recommendations for when I'm through with this big pile!
Kate x

If you'd like to keep up with what I think of these books and what else I've been reading, feel free to give me a follow on Goodreads.

4 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed Circe! I pretty much read it in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you liked it Jane! I'm about a third of the way through it right now and enjoying it so far! :)

      Delete
  2. I just take a peek and saw your post. This is worth reading we'll definitely share this to my friend. budget hotel in bangkok

    ReplyDelete