SOCIAL MEDIA

Book Review- Third Daughter

Tuesday 22 March 2016

I just read this entire book in a couple of days and loved it so, so much. I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a looong time! For anyone who has read any of Tamora Pierce's books (Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen in particular), this book reminded me of her stories quite a lot, in that it had a slight element of fantasy and a really strong female protagonist.

The basic plot of this book focuses around Princess Aniri, who as you might have guessed, is the third daughter of the Queen of Dharia- a fictional kingdom that seems to be largely based on India. As the third daughter, Aniri has expected for her whole life that she will be able to marry for love, whilst her older sisters had to have arranged marriages for the good of the country and creating peace. However, just before this is able to happen, Prince Malik from the barbarian country of Jungali proposes marriage with Aniri as a way to keep the peace between their two countries. I won't give away much more of the plot, but it involves some painful decisions and grand adventures that you really don't want to miss!

3 REASONS YOU'LL LOVE THIS BOOK:
1. It has such a strong female lead as the main character! Aniri is a total kick-ass character who I totally loved-right from the start you're introduced to her breaking out of her room and climbing down walls in the middle of the night, as well as being pretty skilled with a sword. I also really liked that she wasn't your somewhat typical female character who lets her heart overrule her head-she was faced with some really tough decisions throughout this book and really rose to the challenge!

2. It's fantasy-but not really? This sounds super weird when I say it, but basically this book could be set in our world, if not for the couple of slight references to different creatures and places that make you realise it's not set on Earth after all! I used to really love fantasy when I was younger, but I had gone off it a bit in the last couple of years, so I feel like this was the perfect level for basically anyone's tastes. It had that little element of fantasy that made it more exciting to read, without being too over the top and having to learn practically a whole new language to read it!

3. It has a really sweet love story-but that isn't the driving force of the book. I love a good romance as much as any girl, but I really enjoyed the fact that although there's definitely plenty of romance involved in this book, it's main intrigue lies in the decisions Aniri is making and the adventures she's going on!

I hope you guys enjoyed this post, my first of what I hope to be many book reviews! Let me know what you've been reading lately or what you think I should try next! I'm pretty tempted to get started on the other two books in this series right now...
Kate x

PS. For anyone who has a kindle, this book is available for $1 on the kindle book store at the moment, so I'd thoroughly suggest giving it a read!

Post a Comment